Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday Funnies: a poem


Happy Mother's Day! This feels a bit like a cop out this week, but I've got end-of-semester craziness going on, so just this for now. I have had the edition of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats illustrated by Edward Gorey since I was a kid--it was my parents', and I inherited (?) it when I moved out after college. I was reading it to my kids the other night, and its whimsy struck me. Musicals aside, this is quite a fun collection of poems, and Eliot has his way with words, "effanineffable" being the perfect example.

The layout here is miserable, but I quite enjoy the thought of this exercise, and cats are always fun to draw. Maybe some hand-lettering would go a long way toward fixing what bothers me here. Drawing note: my cats are much more realistic (even that last one) than Edward Gorey's, but he's another cartoonist I admire the hell out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment