Sunday, June 19, 2011

surgeon

weeping daggers
True story-- our electricity died last night, so I couldn't scan the art. We spent the night at my in-laws (no AC at home means we cook), so I scanned it there. All my lettering nearly vanished, so I had to trace every letter with the mouse in Paint. It was a total pain in the ass, but worth it. I like the 5th panel, and my weird rubbery arm in the 6th panel.

I originally had a pretty cool word planned for this first "s", but this just seemed like an opportunity not to miss. I think, ultimately what I'm aiming for with this is to look at how the hidden history of words pulse with unknown connections, and this one has a powerful personal aspect to that idea.

My dad was a vascular surgeon, and my grandfather was a pecan and peach farmer (Georgia is the peach state). Happy Father's Day to everyone out there, especially all you dads.

No comments:

Post a Comment