Friday, August 26, 2011

adventures of ox comma

Split Infinity, you've left out a comma. Punishment will ensue...
Well, this didn't turn out how I wanted. I'm a big fan of Dik Browne (and Chance Browne, for that matter), and his style. Recently I discovered the comic strip "Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz," sort of a Slylock Fox/Encyclopedia Brown strip with art by the great Werner Wejp-Olsen, whose line work and form evokes Browne in both a "Hi & Lois" and "Hagar the Horrible" way.

In attempting to both celebrate those comics influences and send up the whole mystery thing with a grammar twist, I feel like I did a lot more aping and imitating than riffing on. You can even see the character designs evolve on the page, which irritates me. So, my apologies to the cartoonists whose work I'm standing on here.

On the other hand, I like Ox. I think his character really emerges somewhere between those last two panels. I also like Split Infinity. I thought she would be sad for Ox, sympathetic there in the end, but instead I think she's barely holding from smacking that hat right off his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment