Friday, October 21, 2011

bacchanal

boy, that etymology snake gets around...
Did I accidentally swipe that pig's design from Jim Woodring? I had it all drawn, and was fairly pleased with myself, and then a little voice in the back of my head went "uh oh..." I mean, here's Manhog with snakes, for God's sake! So, apologies for that one. On the other hand, if you like comics and you're unfamiliar with Woodring? No shame, just run out right now and gobble up as much of his work as you can find.

My favorite thing about this? Let's face it, "spree" and "carousal" are about as euphemistic as you can get. In truth, I was inspired by reading about the original bacchanalia, that, as the Dionysian celebrations went from Greece to Rome and adopted the Roman name, they shifted culturally. The were initially exclusive to women, and all kinds of crazy went on. Thus my "safe but creepy" fairy-tale-esque piece here.

No comments:

Post a Comment