Friday, November 4, 2011

daedal

what are those wings for, Daddy?
I've been obsessed with the Icarus myth - more from a father/son thing than the actual hubris angle - for a long time. I owe Herbert James Draper for inspiration here. This is one of those where I totally overdid it on the inks; I didn't need the wash below the wing...

I've been inspired by some great comics and cartooning of late, so please check these websites out:
     --Mazen Kerbaj is a Lebanese cartoonist whose work excites me like no one I've seen in years. Check out his art here (and if you read Arabic, which I don't, or French, which I know only a little, you can tell me what he's writing). His comics have a vitality and energy and explosiveness that I find amazing.

     --I just read Passage by Tessa Brunton, and boy is it a great comic. Really, one of the best short works I've read this year, certainly in the autobio nonfic category. I love her webcomic (Suck It Mussolini Comix over at tessab.net), but this book of hers is really a step above.

New comics in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment