Saturday, December 3, 2011

kudos

any finger that can dislocate itself like that gets high praise indeed
Actually, this is not a word from Greek or Roman myth, but all the "k" words became "ch" words in English (chaos, kyklopes, etc.). I still don't know what I'm going to do with Q or Y...

This whold series I've been doing recently has really shown me my influences, particularly when it comes to more traditional illustration or single panel editorial, gag, or other cartooning.

I've been obsessed with Annie Vallotton since I was a kid. An aunt or cousin gave me a Good News Bible when I was a kid, and I remember being obsessed with the illustrations. Her clean, nearly heiroglyphic spot cartoons* were a powerful draw for me, laying bare the ideas of form, gesture, line, and motion before I ever saw a comic book.** Anyways, you can really see her worming her way into my drawing here.

*Yes, I do think of her as a cartoonist. I even gave an academic paper on it once.
** My first cartooning influences were newspaper strips, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment