Friday, December 30, 2011

odyssey

You're headed for trouble with a cyclops in your boat
I've always loved Polyphemus (the cyclops in the Odyssey), mostly because of an episode in Ovid's The Metamorphoses, and not for all the sailor chewin' he does in the Odyssey. He's probably the "trial" most identified with Odysseus's journey. That and the sirens, who I include here.

I like the idea that their song tantalizes the sailors with visions of home. I wanted to make some kind of allusion to Penelope and her trials back home-- as I tell my students, Odysseus's journey is one measured in leagues, while Penelope's can be measured in inches. For my money, she had the tougher job.

Last of the year! Happy New Year for all you wonderful folks out there who read my comic. Thank you for reading. Hopefully I can get back into the strips (and the funny) soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment